Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Making Friends in the Workplace

I'm somewhat of a loner type person, not because I'm not cool....on the contrary....I'm too cool and have difficulties finding people that I truly enjoy hanging out with. I don't care to make small talk about the ways of the world, cultural issues, peace in the middle east, someone else's job or life.....I'm not changing any of those things and they don't amuse me so WHY do I want to discuss them. I like drinking, gambling, sports, girls and amusement. If a conversation doesn't include one of these topics, I'm simply uninterested.

That said, I'm trying to make a friend at work. I don't know why but somehow I'm drawn to this fellow. I don't even know his name but he's the mexican guy who cleans the bathrooms and sweeps the stairwells in the building...both inside and outside. For some reason every time I see the guy I try to get some form of acknowledgement....a little hello, a nod.....something. It has something to do with the fact that this guy is always roaming around the building, cleaning up after all of us, doesn't seem to ever talk to any of the other mexican people working around (mostly in the cafeteria) so I just feel bad and want to know that someone appreciates his efforts. Currently I'm just trying to get some eye contact and a little smile out of the guy. When that goes well I'm going to move onto a real hello.

Something tells me at some point this guy is going to want to have me over for dinner and I'm going to regret the day I took on this little project. Oh well, I need to amuse myself with something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home