Friday, September 08, 2006

God its Good Soup


I've been meaning to write about my favorite Vietnamese restaurant that I have lunch at about once a week.....I'm so hooked. Place looks like a complete dump of course and there is only one waiter who hardly knows any English. I have been going to this establishment for over a year now and the ONLY thing I have ever tried is the Chicken Pho soup. It's THE best chicken soup in the world. The chicken and the broth are absolutely unbelievable and when you get the exact right levels of additional spicy shit you put in, its magical....it did take me about 6 months to figure out that the mint that they give you actually tastes good in the soup....that shit aint just for show people....it's delish, throw it on in there. Anyway the soup is fantastic so I go every single week.

The point of the story is about the waiter. See I go to this place every week with my hot friend (some of you may know her as Fashion Kitty.....and she knows she's hot so I'm not revealing any big secret to her here). The kitty sticks out like a sore thumb, because she's hot and she has long funky dreads. So to say the very least my friend is memorable. Well Kitty and I were going to the place every week and the same waiter....the ONLY waiter..... would come to our table, have no apparent memory that we were there before and take our order. We could never get so much of a smile or grunt from him.....NOTHING. This went on for 8 months. We would laugh about it every time wondering if he'd seem to recognize us THIS time.....nothing for 8 months. We only eat the soup....kitty gets beef, I get chicken....EVERY time.

We gave up and then one day it happened: He walked up to us, we're both thinking (as we always do) "why is he bringing those damn menus"....so he walks up, looks at us, holds the menus out and says.....'you need or same'. OH MY GOD....he did it.....he remembered....only took 8 DAMN months but he remembered. We were shocked.....we said "same" so he went and got our soup, 2 diet cokes and 2 glasses of water.

Only one flaw.....when he delivered the soup he gave kitty the chicken and me the beef but only made that mistake once and now he is the man. For a while over the past 4 months of remembering us he'd hold out the menus and ask "same?" but now we walk in and don't even see a menu......"Same?" and he even smiles at us now. Its a beautiful thing.

By the way.....the waiter has this long ass hair growing out of the top of his cheek. Its like he's not shaving high enough up on his face and the hair is literally about 3 inches. It's very unsightly and I would simply stop going to most places because of it but I'm not giving up this soup.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lauren Messiah said...

I could go for a bowl of that stuff right now...

9/08/2006 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home